[REQUEST] Minimize Windows into Desktop Icons

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 3 03:28:24 CET 2004

Matthew Weier OPhinney wrote:

>The menu from xfdesktop is the only portion of xfdesktop I really want
>-- I really wish it could be separated out or put into xfwm. However,
>since I also want my pinboard and iconify-to-pinboard, I use ROX... and
>another little app called deskmenu (I believe it's originally from the
>oroborus project?); since I'm on Debian, I always have an up-to-date
>list of my applications available in this menu, so I get to have my cake
>and eat it too.

pulling the menu out of xfdesktop isn't an option - the part that
listens for mouse clicks in order to know when to pop up the menu is a
huge invisible window (the desktop itself).  if xfdesktop has that
focus, rox won't respond to clicks for the icons, and if rox has the
focus, xfdesktop can't bring up the menu.

i do have plans to work on icon support for xfdesktop, but i'm in the
middle of other things right now.  i thought someone at some point said
they'd be interested in working on icon support.  otherwise, if anyone
wants to take a crack at it, feel free...

    -brian