Xfce Helper proof of concept

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Aug 27 07:34:01 CEST 2004

edscott wrote:
> El jue, 26-08-2004 a las 17:54, Erik Harrison escribió:
>
>>Doesn't xffm support opening a document with the users current default?
>>

> Yes, for quite a while in CVS. I think I did not announce it (like so
> many other things). If you give a path to xffm then three things might
> happen:
>
> 1- If the path is a directory, then that directory is opened with xffm.
> 2- If the path has an associated executable to the respective mimetype,
> then that application is opened with the path as an argument (like
> double clicking in xffm). In this case xffm is not started (only
> libxfcegui4/xfce4-modules/mime is used).
> 3- If there is no associated executable to the path, then xffm will not
> open either. Instead xfrun4 will open and the title bar of xfrun4 will
> read "Open xxx.xxx with what program?" (xxx.xxx is the path specified).
> Use xfrun4 to select program.
>
> If path does not exist, xffm will open. An error message dialog might be
> more appropriate in this case, I don't know.
>
> Jasper, have a look at it and see if it is similar to xfce4-helper. I'm
> not quite sure what you mean so it may be something else.

I meant it as a replacement for using $TERMCMD and $BROWSER in our
scripts, so that the user can change these rather important settings
from the GUI.

Expanding it to be a general xfce-open utility may be interesting, but I
would like it to be a little lighter than xffm, so calling xffm for
unknown arguments might be interesting.

	Jasper