xfce4-terminal 0.0.4.1

Randy Chung aoshi at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Aug 20 09:45:13 CEST 2004

My repsonses to a few of your points below...

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> 2) it would probably make sense to have a "close tab" option in the file
> menu.  yes, i know, quitting the shell in a tab will close it too.  but
> for completeness' sake...

This is trivial to implement.  I'll have a patch rolling around shortly.

> 3) resizing.  you should be able to make the window smaller than its
> initial size.  also, it should set size increment hints so the window
> manager will constrain the window size to increments of the column
> widths/row heights.

While it'd be nifty to be able to do this so the window is resized in
character multiples, I lean more towards the OCD side and like it when
my windows are arranged in a way such that they all snap together and
meet at screen borders nicely.  This comes with the unfortunate caveat
that sometimes window size isn't exactly at a character multiple.  Maybe
this should go into a preferences menu.

> 4) adding tabs shouldn't resize the window.  in fact, nothing should
> ever automatically resize the window except a font size change.

This is a bit trickier to deal with, since (from my cursory glances at
the GTK API) there isn't a way you can do this.  You can disable window
resizing entirely for the user, but there aren't any real ways to
maintain window size when you add a tab that has a name bigger than the
window.  What I have now is a patch that'll simply add the new tab to a
scrollbar, so if you're about to overflow it'll just scroll some tabs
off so it fits into the current window size; I don't recall if I sent
the patch in earlier or not, so let me know if I didn't and I'll send it in.

> 5) a scrollbar would be nice ^_^.

Also trivial to do.  Will have a patch shortly.

> 6) options options options....   size of scrollback buffer, run as login
> shell, color options (i like a black BG, but the grey FG isn't bright
> enough for me), ability to hide the menubar...

This will take longer, simply due to the raw amount of typing :)

> 7) menu accelerators.  i know why you disabled them (that is, alt+f for
> File menu, etc.), but it would be nice to be able to have some kind of
> keyboard way to get to the menus (without having to remember the
> shortcuts for each item).  i wonder if you can change the mnemonic
> behavior on a per-widget-basis so you could do alt+shift+f for the file
> menu...  hmm, actually, this sounds doable, if you set up a separate
> accel object.  maybe.  something to think about for later, anyway.

Actually, I could put together a generic accel key rebinder for all the
accel keys so you could go nuts and change them to your heart's content.
  You could set Ctrl+U for a new tab, if you want to piss off the
bash/zsh users on your system.

> that's all i can think of for now.  this is a great start - something
> nicely in between xterm and gnome-terminal.  prettier than xterm, but
> not as slow to start as gnome-terminal.  and supporting AA fonts, unlike
> eterm...
>
>    -brian

I actually have some beef with AA fonts, because they take a bit more
time to load on my machine and sometimes I just want a snappy terminal
to pop up real quick so I can do quick and dirty admin tasks with them,
but that's something for me to hammer out on my own later :)

--

Randy