xfwm4 kbd shortcut editor feature request

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 7 09:14:23 CEST 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Leonard Clark wrote:

> Brian:
>
> The howto has a quick section on this, works fine:
>
> http://xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en#shortcuts
>
>  From xfce.org:
> "This is how to create a personal key theme :
>
> $ mkdir -p ~/.themes/xfwm4/custom.keys/
> $ cp /usr/local/share/xfwm4/themes/default.keys/keythemerc
> ~/.themes/xfwm4/custom.keys/
> $ ${EDITOR} ~/.themes/xfwm4/custom.keys/keythemerc"
>
> That oughta do ya :-)

yeah, i'm quite aware of how to do this...  my main machine already has
this done; and i only noticed this annoying behaviour when i did a fresh
install on my new laptop.  hence why the GUI-able method of doing this
is a feature request.  the current setup (allowing editing of systemwide
themes and then popping an error) is a bit non-intuitive, and to a new
user, the immediate thought would most likely be, "what's the point of
this?  i can't change the keybindings!"

actually, thinking about it again, how useful is the multi-theme thing
anyway?  i mean, do people really switch between a set of well-defined
bindings often?  i'm seriously asking, cuz i really don't know.  a nice
simplification is to do away with the idea of keythemes entirely (well,
in the GUI at least), and just offer an interface to edit bindings.
present the systemwide 'Default' theme on first use, but as soon as the
user tries to edit something, copy Default to something like
~/.themes/Custom.xfwm4, and then all future edits happen on that.  i
dunno.  it takes a way quite a bit of flexibility, but, at least with
regard to my personal usage patterns, the flexibility is totally
unnecessary (and annoying, since it necessitates creating a custom
theme).  i'm sure other people will see it differently, however ^_~.

	-brian