xfwm4 kbd shortcut editor feature request

Randy Chung aoshi at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Aug 7 09:47:18 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> yeah, i'm quite aware of how to do this...  my main machine already has
> this done; and i only noticed this annoying behaviour when i did a fresh
> install on my new laptop.  hence why the GUI-able method of doing this
> is a feature request.  the current setup (allowing editing of systemwide
> themes and then popping an error) is a bit non-intuitive, and to a new
> user, the immediate thought would most likely be, "what's the point of
> this?  i can't change the keybindings!"
>
> actually, thinking about it again, how useful is the multi-theme thing
> anyway?  i mean, do people really switch between a set of well-defined
> bindings often?  i'm seriously asking, cuz i really don't know.  a nice
> simplification is to do away with the idea of keythemes entirely (well,
> in the GUI at least), and just offer an interface to edit bindings.
> present the systemwide 'Default' theme on first use, but as soon as the
> user tries to edit something, copy Default to something like
> ~/.themes/Custom.xfwm4, and then all future edits happen on that.  i
> dunno.  it takes a way quite a bit of flexibility, but, at least with
> regard to my personal usage patterns, the flexibility is totally
> unnecessary (and annoying, since it necessitates creating a custom
> theme).  i'm sure other people will see it differently, however ^_~.
>
> 	-brian

I'm not sure how useful multiple keythemes are either, at least at this
point; however, there might be some unforeseen functionality tomorrow
that will make good use of it.

As for the way keythemes are currently handled, how would changing the
keytheme in the home dir to be a mask applied on top of the default
keytheme sound?  The idea behind the change is so that if key bindings
are changed in a future release using an outdated keytheme won't cause
as much breakage.  All key binding edits go directly into the key
binding mask in the home dir, and there's less worry about keeping the
home dir key bindings in sync with the system default.  Keythemes
currently installed would work as always, since the keys that weren't
change will just overwrite a default key with...the default key.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be a pressing need to change
what's not broken, so something like that could be put on the backburner
without too much worry; it's more of something for the future than
anything else.

Thoughts and comments would be much appreciated; as always, all my
suggestions also come with the implication that code will be developed
at some point as well.

--

Randy