run by mimetype feature

Erik Harrison esharri1 at bulldog.unca.edu
Thu Apr 8 11:29:02 CEST 2004

edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> I can't remember who asked for the feature, but now implemented in CVS
> HEAD is the following:
>
> If a valid path (not a directory) is specified as an argument in the
> command line of xffm or xftree4, the mimetype associated program will be
> used to open the program without loading any xffm libraries or modules
> (except the mime module, of course). If no valid associated program
> exists for the mimetype, then xfrun4 will pop up so the user can choose
> what application to use to open the file (xfrun4 now accepts a valid
> path as an argument to use with the program to be run).

I'm not at the Linux box atm, but does someone want to fix the xfhelp4
script to correctly use the default browser now that this is possible? I
don't know who else may have requested it, but this is one of the main
reasons I asked for this feature a while back.

For what it's worth, this also makes putting document icons on the
desktop much easier.

-Erik