run by mimetype feature

Erik Harrison esharri1 at bulldog.unca.edu
Thu Apr 8 09:14:26 CEST 2004

Erik Harrison wrote:
> edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>
>> I can't remember who asked for the feature, but now implemented in CVS
>> HEAD is the following:
>>
>> If a valid path (not a directory) is specified as an argument in the
>> command line of xffm or xftree4, the mimetype associated program will be
>> used to open the program without loading any xffm libraries or modules
>> (except the mime module, of course). If no valid associated program
>> exists for the mimetype, then xfrun4 will pop up so the user can choose
>> what application to use to open the file (xfrun4 now accepts a valid
>> path as an argument to use with the program to be run).

> I'm not at the Linux box atm, but does someone want to fix the xfhelp4
> script to correctly use the default browser now that this is possible? I
> don't know who else may have requested it, but this is one of the main
> reasons I asked for this feature a while back.
>
> For what it's worth, this also makes putting document icons on the
> desktop much easier.
>
> -Erik

So at the Linux box. Feel free to flame me terribly if I did this wrong
- I've never created a patch before.

The first patches configure.ac for xfce-utils to set @DEFAULT BROWSER@
to xffm, and the second patches xfhelp4 to specify the path like xffm
likes. Tell me if this is the wrong way to handle it.

Could someone tell me if shell 'case' statements are case-sensitive?
Cause if they are, then the script in CVS won't actually match
Mozilla-Firebird, which is what the executable was called, IIRC. In
fact, without a preceeding '*' I don't think it would right now anyway.
I corrected it (I think - I don't have it installed to test it).

-Erik "Flame Me for Ignorance" Harrison