libxfce4util broken(was: Xffm creates bad files)

edscott wilson garcia edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Apr 3 16:09:24 CEST 2004

El vie, 02-04-2004 a las 01:31, Benedikt Meurer escribió:

> I know most germans are fussy, but thats no reason for me to be fussy as well,
> I prefer to be practical instead. You cannot check every error condition in
> your program and no software developer will ever do. So the best and most
> efficient way is to minimice the number of error conditions in the program,
> for example, if the application looses the connection, Xlib/gtk+ terminates
> the application by default. Now you can come up with "ah wait, don't want
> that, i want to display an error window on another X display instead". Well
> thats ok, but useless. There are some error conditions for which it is worth
> to check, but don't try to catch 'em all. Think practical.

I wholeheartedly agree with you (although what is "practical" for
Germans need not be "practical" for others). The only point where we
differ is who should deal with the *particular* error of not being able
to determine homedir. I see no problem here. You say "libxfce4util". So
be it. All who agree should use libxfce4util for getting the homedir. I
say "the application". All who agree should use glib instead.

BTW, you would convince me about this particular function if you make
the glib guys change the glib function g_gethomedir (or whatever it's
called) terminate the application as in your example above instead of
returning NULL. Maybe the Kde-guys handle it differently, I do not know.
IMHO, not being able to determine a homedir is a "duh" classification
error, definitely not in the same league as a broken connection.

regards,

Edscott