libxfce4util broken(was: Xffm creates bad files)

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Apr 2 09:31:54 CEST 2004

edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>>I really klemmer this. If you really want a NULL pointer, use g_get_homedir()
>>instead.
>
> That's exactly what I am doing. Just don't ask why I no longer rely on
> libsfce4util. Especially if it is broken and the maintainer can't fix
> it.
>

>>If an application is unable to determine the users home directory, there is
>>usually something broken with the system. And I don't see any need to continue
>>from there in a desktop application (remember, we are talking about desktop apps).
>
> Coming from Germany, where trains run on time and everything works on
> schedule, I can understand your point of view. Nonetheless, in other
> places of the world not everything works as planned. We have UPS systems
> for blackouts, cell phones for telephone failures, two cars to avoid air
> pollution stay-at-home laws.
> Of course, homedir is going to be determined if the system is not
> broken, unless the system admin has a different view of the world,
> ---like a linux/bsd user in a wind*ws world---, and defines a "nobody"
> environment (yes, it is possible and practical for certain situations).

I know most germans are fussy, but thats no reason for me to be fussy as well,
I prefer to be practical instead. You cannot check every error condition in
your program and no software developer will ever do. So the best and most
efficient way is to minimice the number of error conditions in the program,
for example, if the application looses the connection, Xlib/gtk+ terminates
the application by default. Now you can come up with "ah wait, don't want
that, i want to display an error window on another X display instead". Well
thats ok, but useless. There are some error conditions for which it is worth
to check, but don't try to catch 'em all. Think practical.

Also the sysadmin you describe can set HOME to /tmp, no problem, and
everything will work fine. I really don't see the point in your argumentation.

regards,
Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/