xfce version 3 vs. 4 : missing features?

Philip Webb purslow at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 30 00:39:30 CEST 2003

030929 edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 15:40, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>> It is not all that easy.
>> 1) The iconbox has no layout of icons (ie if the icons don't fit
>> in screen, the iconbox doesn't care and keeps growing)
>> 2) The iconbox has no caption, that makes it fairly useless on the desktop
>> 3) ths code itself is not very clean IMHO and would need some work.
>> I think Toby said he was working on a new version
>> 4) icons on desktop would better be implemented
>> with a nice well written custom home made gtk widget and that's definitely
>> more work than just cut'n paste from the current iconbox.
> I didn't want to scare off any volunteers ;-)
> OTH, if the iconbox code problems are fixed, and a configuration option
> added to tell the wm not to use border and title, it would almost be
> like icons on the desktop. Apparently Toby has not had much time
> to spare lately and could use some help.

as a very satisfied user of 3.8.18 , who has yet to try 4.0
due to waiting to finish building a new box & installing a suitable Linux,
i've been reading this lengthy thread with some disquiet.

two of the things i really like about XFCE are the abilities
(1) to roll up a window with a R-click on the title-bar &
(2) to make a window shrivel up into an icon by clicking the box marked 'dot';
it is slightly irritating to have to double-click to re-open the latter,
but that can be lived with (double-clicks go back to the days
when mice had only  1  button -- eg the original Mac -- & sb avoided today).
however apparently, both these useful features are absent in 4.0
& there's also a problem with allowing users to choose icons for the icon-box.

i have found Bijou's responses rather burocratic
& hope that the coding team will try to find ways to accommodate critics
by adding appropriate options in later versions.

my  CAD 0,02  ... (smile)

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca