xffm - feature requests and bugs

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Mon Oct 27 19:19:41 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 11:00, Sridhar R wrote:
> hi,
>
> these might be helpful
>
> 1. (*)icon views, etc .. as in Windows Explorer!

Denied. Use RoX if you want a fast icon view.

> 2. Toolbar icon for "delete to WB without
> confirmation"

Nope. If you want to do that, just drag files and drop into wastebasket.

> 3. tree view - expanding empty directories should
> display "empty" msg or hide the arrow instead of
> showing a empty row

Nope. It would mean another translation, and currently xffm has too many
translations (translation database is being reduced in 4.1). If nothing
is there, nothing is shown. Simple.

> 4. In File-props dialog provide text-entry instead of
> label for filename so that it can be edited (renamed)

Now this makes sense. Probably will appear in 4.2.

> 5. after renaming a file(its ext is changed), the icon
> of that file is not changed correspondingly. Not
> refreshed.  This makes me to think there is a general
> bug.

OK. Will fix.

> 6. More than one way of opening files - Double
> clicking on a file will	open that file using a
> specified program.  Suppose I want to open
> that file in a different way, one way is by
> providing a shortcut (eg. Shift+DblClick) and
> other way is including a entry in the
> right-click menu
> 	For eg. instead of simply playing that file in xmms
> (which overrights previous playlist) I can right
> click the click	on "Enqueue in xmms..." entry or
> Shift+DblClk it!

You can have up to ten different ways in the popup open menu and the
main open menu. Either add the options to
/usr/local/share/xffm/applications.xml or
$HOME/.xfce4/xffm/applications.xml. The one which will get double click
is the first application in the latter file. It you modify
/usr/local/share/xffm/applications.xml send us the file so your changes
can be included in 4.2.

> 7. File-RightClick->Open->OpenWith.. shows a widget on
> top of fm.
> 	The entry should contains the default program to open
> that file initially which will replaced by the user,
> instead of simply	showing first entry in the history
> list
>
> This is actually a (serious) bug

Actually it works the way you suggest. Except that if there is no
program associated to the file (see applications.xml files), then it
will show the last selected entry, followed by the entry which has been
selected the most times.

> 8. On mail toolbar, there are "back", "forward", "up"
> buttons.  when your browsing say the bookmarks "book"
> or applications "applications", on clicking on them
> (back, fwd, up buttons) the effect is not on current
> browsing path, but only on the "home" directory.
> 	If not clear, add some directories to bookmarks
> "book". And browse through it and press one of the 3
> buttons.

That's the intended behaviour. You cannot back out of an open book. You
have to open a different book. Use popup menu to open a different book.

> 9. when printing into message box bellow say when
> clicking on help->about	how to stop those annoying
> long scrolling messages!

Don't click the help->about?

> 10. when priviewing pictures in xffm, they take longer
> when directory containing many pictures. the only
> solutions is load the filenames and other attrs first
> and load the thumbnails incremently (as in
> nautilus),during which the user may cancel it any time
> by switching to	different directory.

Sounds reasonably, but we would need someone to contribute a patch for
that. OTH, you can reduce the size of previewed images by using the
mcs-manager. Put a size that goes well with your CPU.