Some Fancy Options.

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sun Oct 12 19:37:48 CEST 2003

Op zo 12-10-2003, om 17:35 schreef Alexandre Araujo Moreira:
> First of all I'd like to say Thanks for the great piece of software that
> you guys managed to get running.
>
> Well... I don't know if I'm the only one who doesn't like this but... I
> think there should be an option to turn off the tear-off and 'Add
> Launcher' buttons from the popup menus on the Panel. I know there is
> such a cmopile time option to do that.... but I've been thinking about
> having it in a Properties Dialog for each popup (or some sort of global
> feature)

A compile time option to turn them off? Well, nobody told me ...

Anyway, how would you change the menu if there's no way to add items?

And what is the problem with them? They're not taking up much screen
space or anything.

Setting XFCE_DISABLE_USER_CONFIG will remove the 'Add item' menu option.
Of course, it will prevent you from making any other changes to the
panel as well ;-)

> Well... I've been reading the source code but... I'm not THAT good at
> programming. I came out with some things:
>
> There is already the 'infra-structure' to add such code (There is the
> code that shows/hides the add launcher button if the global option is
> set and the tear-off button is easily tweaked to not show if some option
> is set.) wouldn't be hard to code some option in the xfce4rc file to
> keep the options recorded on the file ... (maybe in the <Popup> section....)
>
> I'd do it myself but... I really lack abillity when it comes to GUI
> programming and there are many things I don't understand in the 'how do
> the xfce project get structured' if anyone could implement this, or show
> me the directions so that I could at least patch my xfce to work this
> way... Thanks

What I would like, is to use drag and drop to modify panel/menu content,
very much like the new gtk 2.4 toolbar, which is already use for
instance in the epiphany browser. This requires huge internal changes,
though, so it will take some time.

> PS: I don't know if this is gonna make it all the way down to the
> mailing list... I've been trying to post twice before and it never
> showed up (not even an error message)

Apparently it did ;-)

	Jasper