desktopmenu future plans?

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Fri Nov 21 02:44:31 CET 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:25:07 +0200, Tuukka Mäkinen wrote:

> What kind of plans there are for desktop menu? I thought of learning
> linux programming by writing a graphical editor for editing the
> menu.xml. However I noticed that xfdesktop already contains some code
> for setting an "edit" state.
>
> The information I'm looking for is:
> 1. Are there plans to make additions to xml part? A check against dtd
> file maybe.
> 2. Is the current method of parsing good? It has two stages:
>     1. The document is parsed into GList with menuitem data
>     2. Then this list is turned into the menu by calling
> gtk_item_factory_create_item for each menuitem in GList. This stage also
> includes converting menuitem data so that gtk_item... function accepts it.
>
> Hmm.. It might be better to ask what were the arguments for choosing
> this implementation instead of e.g combining above stage into one and
> creating the menu while parsing xml file.
>
> 3. What is the planned schedule for modifications/additions to
> desktopmenu? I ask so that I don't start anything someone is already
> working on.

I am planning to look at this sometime in January. My main aim will be to add
support for the Freedesktop Menu Spec. I have not yet decided whether that will
add to this menu or replace it. Most likely the former.

My original plan for menu editing was to use the menu itself to edit itself
rather than creating a seperate menu editor. As you noticed, we would enter an
'edit' mode, in which all actions on the menu would edit it rather than execute.

Feel free to look at menu editing, it is somewhat low in my priorities right
now. Let me know if you need any clarifications re the menu code.

-- b