desktopmenu future plans?

Tuukka Mäkinen tukem at iki.fi
Fri Nov 21 13:11:10 CET 2003

Biju Chacko wrote:
> I am planning to look at this sometime in January. My main aim will be to add
> support for the Freedesktop Menu Spec. I have not yet decided whether that will
> add to this menu or replace it. Most likely the former.

The Freedesktop menu specification is... interesting. A bit overwhelming
when some of the elements aren't specified too well. For example use of
<and> and <or> is a mystery. Overriding previous elements might bring
some extra challenge to parsing too.

> My original plan for menu editing was to use the menu itself to edit itself
> rather than creating a seperate menu editor. As you noticed, we would enter an
> 'edit' mode, in which all actions on the menu would edit it rather than execute.

How would editing work in this mode? Modifying existing entries could
happen by selecting that entry but what about adding new submenus and
entries. Removing submenus and entries could be done through modify but
that wouldn't be user friendly. An edit-menu with "new", "new/submenu",
"new/entry", "new/separator", "edit" and "remove" perhaps?

> Feel free to look at menu editing, it is somewhat low in my priorities right
> now. Let me know if you need any clarifications re the menu code.

I'll see if I can come up with anything.

-Tuukka