xfrun4 slow with many fonts

Eduard Roccatello xfce at roccatello.it
Thu Nov 6 20:41:48 CET 2003

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 13:34, Joe Stone wrote:
> hi
>
> I have about 5800 font's
>
> XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (gentoo:xfree-4.3.0-r3)
> gtk+-2.2.4-r1,
> I use a standard gentoo installation, no ~x86, only stable
IIRC xfree 4.3 doesn't need an external font server. I use ttf fonts without
any external server; just edit XF86Config and fc-cache font dirs.
I think embedded server is the best choice, obviously IMHO :-)

> Now I tried some other programms.
> all gtk-related apps opens slow (scite, gimp,...)
> qt-apps are also opening all fonts
> Sorry, I should have done before, but i use mainly xterm+vi and
> mozilla-firebird.

so it isn't a xfrun problem :-)
mozilla forces us to see the universe from another slow perspective
(where t=0.1 * t :-) [i'm just kidding :-]

[snip]

> Eduard thank you for your reply, do you want some infos more from me?

i check xfrun's source a lot of times since two days ago and nothing can let
me think to a bug (but there is always another bug, Murphy rocks :-)

I think if you have solved ur problem we are ok else please post again :-)
see ya

--
Eduard Roccatello
Pcimprover.it Admin