xfrun4 slow with many fonts

Joe Stone joe.stone at gmx.net
Tue Nov 4 13:34:04 CET 2003

hi

I have about 5800 font's

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (gentoo:xfree-4.3.0-r3)
gtk+-2.2.4-r1,
I use a standard gentoo installation, no ~x86, only stable

Now I tried some other programms.
all gtk-related apps opens slow (scite, gimp,...)
qt-apps are also opening all fonts
Sorry, I should have done before, but i use mainly xterm+vi and
mozilla-firebird.

I added the path from the new fonts
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/new/
to the config-file from xfs:
	/etc/X11/fs/xfs
and then I reloaded the xfs
	/etc/init.d/xfs restart
he indexed about 4 minutes and now all apps are starting fast.

I never fully understood the font-system of linux, so I added the
fonts with kcontrol. (The first time in 5 years linux, that I needed
nonstandard fonts).
This worked, I was able to use the fonts but I had this slow-start-problem.

Can it be, that the apps didn't find a font-index, so they built
one self?

Now xfs knows my font-dir, all is working good.

Nevertheless a strange behavior that apps need to scan all fonts.
Even when I opened a dialog of a qt-app, the scanning started.

Eduard thank you for your reply, do you want some infos more from me?

joe