xffm will crash when browsing to a public-samba-share with SMB_USER env set

Don Tanner mesa at linuxtux.org
Thu May 22 19:53:20 CEST 2003

Hello,

xffm will crash if you have a samba share like this : (which is a very sane and common public share entry)

-------snippet from smb.conf--------------------
[public-ftp]
        comment = top secret stealth mission
        path = /home/ftp/pub
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
------end snippet from smb.conf----------------

and try to browse to it with any value other than empty/null set in SMB_USER.

Here is the recreation / scenario in details:

1) If I try to browse to this public share with xffm and I DO have an entry env setting (user-name) for the  "SMB_USER" env it
     will freeze up my entire X session and i have to do the ctrl-alt-bksp. Only way to get un-froze.

2) If I try to browse this same samba public share with xffm and I DO NOT have an entry
     in SMB_USER env null/empty it will browse it with no problem.

3) xftree/xfsamba (from xfce3) does not have this problem with same scenario.

My build of xfce4 = 2003 May 22 00:30:00 CST ... did a fresh install of everything at that time
including removing ALL old libraries before rebuild.

I can consistently recreate this crash.
I would send more info on the crash but I am not seeing any errors an any logs to give you.

Peace
Don