Documentation structure

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue May 13 23:34:10 CEST 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003 23:38:06 +0200
Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 2003 00:22:29 +0200
> Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to know what you think about the general documentation
> > structure I put up here:
> >
> > http://members.home.nl/jbhuijsmans/xfce4-user-guide/
> >
> > It splits the documentation into a user guide, which will give an
> > overview of the desktop, explain general concepts and describe some
> > common tasks, and separate manuals for each module, which I now have
> > formatted into one html page.
> >
> > This is what I currently think is the best way to present our
> > information. For this to work I think it may be best to install a
> > simple index file like I have now on the above page to make it easy
> > to find the documentation. If not all modules are installed, some
> > links will be dead. Ideally this index would be autogenerated, but
> > that may be added at a later date.
> >

> I would like to get some feedback on this issue. There are two ways to
> handle this (that I see):
>
> 1) Have an index.html pointing to the available docs, somewhat like I
> have now on the page mentioned above, or
>
> 2) Have the user guide link to all possible manuals, like it is in
> current CSV version.
>
> I think I prefer (1),

Right, so here's what I did:

1) All docs are now installed to $(datadir)/xfce/doc/<ll>/, where <ll>
   is the language code or 'C' for the default (no, there are no
   translated docs yet; let's please get some English ones first ...).

2) xfhelp4 is updated to use this structure

3) xfce-utils packages provides an 'index.html' (can also be localized),
   and an xfce.css file for pretty colors (unless you use dillo).

4) xfce-utils package provides xfce4-user-guide as well as xfce-utils
   manual

These modules at least have a documentation framework installed, there
may even be content in some of them:
+ xfce-utils
+ xfce4
+ xfwm4
+ xfdesktop
+ xfce-mcs-plugins
+ xfce-mcs-manager

Missing:
+ xffm
+ xfprint
+ xfce4-iconbox
+ all modules in xfce4-extras

I can help out with all documentation, but I probably cannot write all
of it.

If you want to write documentation but are not familiar with docbook
xml, just write it in plain text and I can do the markup for you.

Comments, suggestions and contributions will be highly appreciated,

	Jasper