Documentation structure

Michael Jakl mj at int-x.org
Sat May 10 00:15:56 CEST 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:38:06PM +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > I'd like to know what you think about the general documentation
> > structure I put up here:
> >
> > http://members.home.nl/jbhuijsmans/xfce4-user-guide/
> >
> > It splits the documentation into a user guide, which will give an
> > overview of the desktop, explain general concepts and describe some
> > common tasks, and separate manuals for each module, which I now have
> > formatted into one html page.
> >
> > This is what I currently think is the best way to present our
> > information. For this to work I think it may be best to install a
> > simple index file like I have now on the above page to make it easy to
> > find the documentation. If not all modules are installed, some links
> > will be dead. Ideally this index would be autogenerated, but that may
> > be added at a later date.
> >

> I would like to get some feedback on this issue. There are two ways to
> handle this (that I see):
>
> 1) Have an index.html pointing to the available docs, somewhat like I
> have now on the page mentioned above, or
>
> 2) Have the user guide link to all possible manuals, like it is in
> current CSV version.
>
> I think I prefer (1),

I think it's a good idea to separate general information (overview)
explaining the cooperation of the modules (maybe with links to the
manual of the modules?), and the manuals of the modules (like your
option 1).

It would be nice to give a short introduction to each module on the
frontpage (as you did on your resource page) - I guess you planned this
already ;-).

Michael

--
Michael Jakl <mj at int-x.org> http://www.int-x.org
Computer Science is no more about Computers than astronomy is