xffm settings and mcs

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Fri May 9 21:19:58 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 20:13, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> It certainly makes sense. One question, why do you say SMB_USER should
> not be saved? Isn't it highly likely that the user will want to use that
> again? Also, values that are not saved should IMO not be in the settings
> dialog at all, you should prompt for them when first needed and save
> them in memory for the duration of one session.

mcs saves all the data defined in a given channel. There is no mechanism
for excluding some key/value pairs from being saved along with the
channel (because it's not the way it wasdedsigned, and I still think
such things are not needed/suitable)

That said, I totally agree that login/passwd should *not* be saved, and
not even be managed by mcs (mcs is not designed a "secure" media)

Anybody who can connect to the X server can see the data.

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org