xffm settings and mcs

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Sat May 10 07:42:33 CEST 2003

El vie, 09-05-2003 a las 14:19, Olivier Fourdan escribió:
> On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 20:13, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> > It certainly makes sense. One question, why do you say SMB_USER should
> > not be saved? Isn't it highly likely that the user will want to use that
> > again? Also, values that are not saved should IMO not be in the settings
> > dialog at all, you should prompt for them when first needed and save
> > them in memory for the duration of one session.
>
> mcs saves all the data defined in a given channel. There is no mechanism
> for excluding some key/value pairs from being saved along with the
> channel (because it's not the way it wasdedsigned, and I still think
> such things are not needed/suitable)

It was not difficult to exclude it from being saved, or even kept in
memory.

> That said, I totally agree that login/passwd should *not* be saved, and
> not even be managed by mcs (mcs is not designed a "secure" media)

It's just a convenient way of doing an "export SMB_USER=user%password"
without having to restart an xfsamba4 instance. Xfsamba4 manages
multiple user%password while browsing, but not all networks use "GUEST"
for browsing without password. "INVITADO" is also used here, and there
is no need to keep that secure. That's the intention of SMB_USER
environment variable.

saludos

Edscott