Patch for xfrun

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Mar 12 14:15:34 CET 2003

On Wed, 12, Mar 2003, James Tappin wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:40:32 +0100
> Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
>
> BM> Maybe this should be configurable via the setup (and in addition the
> BM> terminal emulator to use), as this should make life easier for the
> BM> average user.
>
> The terminal emulator is supposed to be set via the TERMCMD variable
> (that's really all that xfterm4 does), however I've never been able to
> get it to use anything other than xterm from the panel or xfrun,
> although from another terminal it does work. I've set TERMCMD in a part
> of .cshrc that isn't dependent on it being in an interactive session.

If Xfce is to be used by a novice computer user, he wouldn't know how
to change the Terminal Emulator, the browser or even the filemanager to
be used by Xfce. He don't about .xsession/.xinitrc, he would except
this to be configurable via a setup.

So, in order to get a good user experience, we should probably add a
"Xfce helper applications"-Setup. That'll be a quite easy task: The
launcher scripts will be replace by simple C-Programs that execute the
selected applications.

Opinions?

regards,
Benedikt