XFFM & XFDESKTOP build bug in XFCE4

Marc Hildebrand marc.hildebrand at t-online.de
Sun Jun 29 12:54:14 CEST 2003

lenny bruce wrote:

> At 4:55 PM +0200 6/28/03, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>
>> (I didn't even know that there was a port for Mac OS X)
>

> The word "port" is inaccurate, we require no emulated replacement
> resources.
> We're not the Amiga, we're not the Wintel PC using CYGwin, we're not
> Linux...
> we have the same foundation you have and more.

I'd say we know that.
Maybe he was referring to the BSD-Port Packaging...

> forget the word Mac...
>
> Apple's "Aqua" is an illusion most Mac users believe...
> but Darwin lives underneath and it's the best UNIX in the world,
> BSD 4.4 UNIX of FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD parentage on the Mach 3.0 kernel.
> http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

Ack.

> Apple hacked NeXT's windowing server to make it do multiple
> app-environments:
> Cocoa (NeXT Objective-C DPS), Carbon (Mac OS API), Java, and Classic
> (our WINE).
>
> Users got together to compile XFree86 X11 rootless for Aqua...
> and Apple accepted it... it'll be standard in Mac OS X 4.3 (Panther)...
> though for now it's something we get through Fink (or Apple has a beta
> X11).
> http://fink.sf.net http://finkcommander.sf.net
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/
> (Fink is our "FreeBSD Ports" using the Debian Package Manager "deb"
> format.)
> Point:
> We're here, we're UNIX, get used to us, you wrote XFCE(4) for our
> system too.
> There is no "port" required - we're UNIX - we're as UNIX as UNIX can be.
>
>   {this has been a party political broadcast - thank you for your
> attention)
>

> now that you know who we are...
>
>> I remember no bug report for Mac OS X
>

> This bug has been reported in many ways for many UNIX systems.
> I found many different references with Google.
>
> Apparently our glob.h doesn't have GLOB_NOMATCH... same bug as on
> FreeBSD.
>
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/311/2000/7/200/4104649/
> http://lists.freeswan.org/pipermail/bugs/2001-November/000093.html
>
> I often see a variety of UNIX flavors reporting the same bugs we have...
> but somehow when you say "Mac" everybody gets defensive and exclusionary.
> It's like we're black and we stumble into a KKK meeting asking to use
> the phone.
> "We don't like them _mac_-types around heeah". We're not different.

Never knew the mac-users are that sort of paranoid...
I hope I can speak for all in this list when I emphasis my joy (and hope
that comes with it) when I first heard of darwin as the foundation of
the next mac os.
In the last gentoo-user meeting I had, the folks with the ower- and
i-books were definitely the highlight and they had the most interesting
storys to tell ;)

{Cut out the rest of the mail}, let's get back to work on the real prob
and that is getting xfce4 to compile on mac os 10.x, right?

Actually I'm currently working on compiling it on opendarwin but could
not find the time to put more effort on it.
Well, you brought me to stress it a bit more ;)