XFFM & XFDESKTOP build bug in XFCE4

lenny bruce keeptruthfree at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 29 07:31:37 CEST 2003

At 4:55 PM +0200 6/28/03, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>(I didn't even know that there was a port for Mac OS X)

The word "port" is inaccurate, we require no emulated replacement resources.
We're not the Amiga, we're not the Wintel PC using CYGwin, we're not Linux...
we have the same foundation you have and more.

forget the word Mac...

Apple's "Aqua" is an illusion most Mac users believe...
but Darwin lives underneath and it's the best UNIX in the world,
BSD 4.4 UNIX of FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD parentage on the Mach 3.0 kernel.
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

Apple hacked NeXT's windowing server to make it do multiple app-environments:
Cocoa (NeXT Objective-C DPS), Carbon (Mac OS API), Java, and Classic
(our WINE).

Users got together to compile XFree86 X11 rootless for Aqua...
and Apple accepted it... it'll be standard in Mac OS X 4.3 (Panther)...
though for now it's something we get through Fink (or Apple has a beta X11).
http://fink.sf.net http://finkcommander.sf.net http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/
(Fink is our "FreeBSD Ports" using the Debian Package Manager "deb" format.)

Point:
We're here, we're UNIX, get used to us, you wrote XFCE(4) for our system too.
There is no "port" required - we're UNIX - we're as UNIX as UNIX can be.

   {this has been a party political broadcast - thank you for your attention)

now that you know who we are...

>I remember no bug report for Mac OS X

This bug has been reported in many ways for many UNIX systems.
I found many different references with Google.

Apparently our glob.h doesn't have GLOB_NOMATCH... same bug as on FreeBSD.

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/311/2000/7/200/4104649/
http://lists.freeswan.org/pipermail/bugs/2001-November/000093.html

I often see a variety of UNIX flavors reporting the same bugs we have...
but somehow when you say "Mac" everybody gets defensive and exclusionary.
It's like we're black and we stumble into a KKK meeting asking to use
the phone.
"We don't like them _mac_-types around heeah". We're not different.

>  > quite simply: NOBODY IS ADDRESSING THIS BUG !!!
>
>First, take it easy! It is very unpolite to WRITE IN CAPITALS!

impolite... but let's not get picky.
Obviously, I used caps for emphasis like boldface.
I'm not a barbarian using all-caps.

>This said, we only address bugs that are reported to us.

okay, I'm reporting it to you...
but you need to be up on major bugs that are prevalent across many systems...
things that could be prevented but which (for example) make a program x86-only.

my point is that it's not a "mac-specific" bug.
there is no "mac"... take a look at the guy behind that green curtain.
"the great and powerful [Steve] Jobs" runs on Unix.

I use Pan 0.14.0, Gnome 2.2, KDE 3.1.2, gAIM 0.64, XMMS 1.2.7, etc.

>Moreover, this is free software, we have absolutely no obligation of
>any kind. So please, stop that and make gentle reports.

I'm sorry you didn't get up from that wheelchair
in our tent show revival today,
your faith must not have been strong enough.

actually, I'm a fan.
I normally use XFCE3 as my X11 Window Manager.
I just want to "move up" to XFCE4.

the Mac OS X user already has an operating system and a clock and other stuff.
that's why XFCE is perfect for XDarwin... it doesn't get in the way...
and it's not stilted or clunky like the so-called minimalist WMs.
XFCE is our little toolbar friend who manages our UNIX-type applications.

a special note to edscott wilson garcia:

At 7:51 PM -0500 6/28/03, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>  > >scramble.c:127: `GLOB_NOMATCH' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
>Ok. This says that the macOSX is not IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'')
>compatible. In order to know how compatible it is, we need for you
>to post a copy of /usr/include/glob.h (maybe it's in
>/usr/local/include or somewhere else, depending on macOSX).

I had already attached it (/usr/include/glob.h) to this outgoing message
when I read your note asking me to post it... here it is.

I found mention of this POSIX.2 compatibility thing:
http://osxfaq.com/man/1/grep.ws
http://www.osxfaq.com/man/3/File--Glob.ws
http://www.hmug.org/man/3/glob.html
http://www.opengroup.org/austin/mailarchives/austin-review-l/msg01290.html

Apple apparently uses glob.h 8.1 (Berkeley) 6/2/93.

--
lenny bruce                        I am not a comedian,
keeptruthfree at earthlink.net        I am Lenny Bruce.