mcs-manager plugin dev question

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Sat Jun 21 04:27:19 CEST 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:05:46 -0400, Matthew Weier OPhinney wrote:

> How does one go about creating settings manager plugins? Do they need
> to be written in any specific language (C?)? If not, how do you
> register the plugin with the settings manager?
>
> Basically, I've got applications from disparate sources, and I would
> like to be able to put launchers for their settings in the settings
> manager. It seems like all that *should* need to happen is for the
> settings manager to have an icon that launches the appropriate
> program, but it looks like this isn't exactly the case.
>
> As examples: I have a program that can be used to set the backdrop for
> my ROX-Filer pinboard, complete with GUI; I might want to be able to
> place an icon for xfprint-manager here; an app to select which
> screensaver to use (or to launch the xscreensaver setup dialog).
>
> Basically, I want to know if the mcs-manager has a way of binding
> system commands to an icon.

the settings system provides a lot of infrastructure to applications
using it such as saving to file and change notification. So it isn't as
straight forward as it seems.

I guess for 4.2 we could think about adding support for third party
settings. I suspect it could be handy for sysadmins, especially.

-- b