mcs-manager plugin dev question

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Jun 21 15:10:21 CEST 2003

On Sat, 21, Jun 2003, Biju Chacko wrote:

> > How does one go about creating settings manager plugins? Do they need
> > to be written in any specific language (C?)? If not, how do you
> > register the plugin with the settings manager?
> >
> > Basically, I've got applications from disparate sources, and I would
> > like to be able to put launchers for their settings in the settings
> > manager. It seems like all that *should* need to happen is for the
> > settings manager to have an icon that launches the appropriate
> > program, but it looks like this isn't exactly the case.
> >
> > As examples: I have a program that can be used to set the backdrop for
> > my ROX-Filer pinboard, complete with GUI; I might want to be able to
> > place an icon for xfprint-manager here; an app to select which
> > screensaver to use (or to launch the xscreensaver setup dialog).
> >
> > Basically, I want to know if the mcs-manager has a way of binding
> > system commands to an icon.
>
> the settings system provides a lot of infrastructure to applications
> using it such as saving to file and change notification. So it isn't as
> straight forward as it seems.
>
> I guess for 4.2 we could think about adding support for third party
> settings. I suspect it could be handy for sysadmins, especially.

I like the idea. And I think, it does not require to change the
mcs-manager itself. We could use some kind of "wrapper plugins". But
that'll definetly have to wait until 4.2.

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/
pkgsrc "Work in progress":                  http://pkgsrc-wip.sf.net/