Howto release (suggestions)

Luis Miguel Garcia ktech at wanadoo.es
Mon Jun 16 18:02:12 CEST 2003

     hi

     So perhaps I can do all the stuff related to spanish questions and something more (translate the announcement).

     Spanish translation of xfce still needs a bit of work. Thursday I will see what is still missing.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:41:19 +0200
Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First: We have already two people for the release team: Luis Miguel Garcia and
> Net Llama, would be nice, if more people would join. Atleast it would be
> nice if people could join as translators for the release notes and
> do announcements for their Linux/Unix news sites in their country (e.g.
> I would do www.heise.de, www.linux-community.de and pro-linux.de if
> nobody else wants to).
>
> I would also be nice to have a separate mailinglist for the release team,
> so they can coordinate their work (in case we get more than 2 people for
> the release team :-).
>
> Here are my suggestions how we could do releases:
>
> Day -x:
> -------
> 	- Decide when to do the release
>
> Day 1:
> ------
> 	- Choose what modules should be part of the release.
> 	- Notify the module maintainers to have a last look at the
> 	  modules
> 	- Notify the release team to plan the announcements and write
> 	  the release notes (e.g. they should create a list whats new
> 	  in this release, see the ChangeLog and the mailing list
> 	  archives for this; e.g. BETA2 will have improved Xinerama
> 	  support, SVG themes, an improved mixer, etc.)
>
> Day 2:
> ------
> 	- Tag CVS (e.g. with xfce4-beta1 or xfce4-final).
> 	- Notify testers and the release team to test the tagged CVS version
> 	  (IMPORTANT: make dist and make rpm should be checked for each module)
>
> Day 3:
> ------
> 	- The release notes should now be ready. Translate them to other
> 	  languages. (release team)
> 	- Write the announcements for the various news sites, and find
> 	  people that write announcements for non-english news sites
> 	  (as already said, I could do the german ones), but do not
> 	  send the announcements yet (release team)
> 	- create tarballs (I think Olivier will do this) and put them
> 	  on a temporary web/ftp space.
> 	- test the tarballs (everybody's welcome)
> 	- the release team should now notify package maintainers, e.g.
> 	  *BSD, debian, gentoo maintainers, so they can prepare
> 	  their packages to be ready on release date.
>
> Day 4:
> ------
> 	- Last chance to fix bugs
>
> Day 5:
> ------
> 	- put the final tarballs to sf files section
> 	- notify mirror maintainers to sync the files
> 	- create RPMs (the release team should coordinate who creates
> 	  what RPMs, so we don't end up with 4 people doing
> 	  RPMs for RedHat :-)
>
> Day 6:
> ------
> 	- Upload RPMs
> 	- put the release notes and the translated release notes online
> 	  (the release team should also prepare a text for the NEWS
> [...]

Luis Miguel Garcia Mancebo
Ingenieria Tecnica en Informatica de Gestion
Universidad de Deusto / University of Deusto
Bilbao / Spain
there's no place that I could be without you
there's no place that I could gleam without you
there's no place that I could dream without you
there's no place that I could be without you
honestly