Howto release (suggestions)

Net Llama! netllama at linux-sxs.org
Mon Jun 16 16:27:55 CEST 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Biju Chacko wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:41:19 +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
> >  Opinions?
>
> Hmmm ... we're looking at a 6 day cycle for release. I think thats ok
> for production releases but I don't think it's acceptable for beta and
> pre- releases.
>
> During the beta period we need to push fixes out ASAP. Having untested
> fixes or reports of fixed bugs doesn't help us IMO. I would like to see
> beta releases every 7-14 days.

I'm confused.  You want 7-14 days, or 6 days for the beta release cycle?

> Production releases should happen every only couple of months, so a more
> comprehensive release cycle is appropriate.

Definitely.  I'm thinking perhaps 18 days for a production release testing
cycle.

> Finally, we need a Release Manager who has final responsibility for
> releases. There is a danger otherwise that people will assume that
> "someone else will do it" and tasks will slip through the cracks.

I've seen releases fall apart, or end up badly delayed because no one was
making sure that everyone was doing their jobs.  While i'd love to manage
the release, i don' know that i have sufficient time right now.

Lonni J Friedman				netllama at linux-sxs.org
Linux Step-by-step & TyGeMo		     http://netllama.ipfox.com