Configuration issues/ideas

toth64 at yahoo.com toth64 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 22:30:53 CEST 2003

--- Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Here are some thoughts I had about our configuration
> dialogs. (Yes
> benny, for after 4.0 ;-)
>
> * For xfdesktop, if I want to support different
> backgrounds for multiple
> screens, I will not be able to use the mcs manager
> anymore. Same goes
> for multiple panels; only icontheme and perhaps
> layer would remain
> global. This is probably unavoidable, though.

Actually, couldn't you? I don't know how exactly the
mcs manager works, but here's an idea. Clicking on
XFce Panel options in the MCS manager brings up a
dialog with a list of all currently created panels.
>From here you can select a panel and click a
"Configure" button or something to edit the
configuration of that panel, so on and so forth for
other created panels. There could also be a "New
Panel" button for creating a new, empty panel. The
user can provide their own meaningful name to the
panel so they are easily identifiable.

By doing this you are keeping all settings
configurable from within the MCS Manager which is a
good thing IMO while allowing multiple panels.

Something similar could maybe be used for different
backgrounds on each workspace?

-Nick Penwarden