Configuration issues/ideas

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Jul 26 00:31:53 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 21:34, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> * For xfdesktop, if I want to support different backgrounds for multiple
> screens, I will not be able to use the mcs manager anymore. Same goes
> for multiple panels; only icontheme and perhaps layer would remain
> global. This is probably unavoidable, though.

MCS is per *screen*, not per display. Multiscreen is therefore
supported, so it's *already* like that.

Easy test, you can use Xnest with option "-scrns" to simulate multiple
screens on a single display.

E.g.:

$ Xnest :1 -scrns 2 -ac &
$ export DISPLAY=:1.0
$ xfcs-mcs-manager
$ xfdesktop&
$ xfwm4 --daemon
$ export DISPLAY=:1.1
$ xfce-mcs-manager
$ xfdesktop&
$ xfwm4 --daemon

Then you can select different backdrop for each screen.

The problem is that the setting is saved in a single file, so the
setting won't be restored separatly. This is not a MCS problem though,
but rather an impl problem in the plugins (all of our plugins are like
that btw, and so is the panel which always saves its values to the same
xfce4rc AFAIK)

It's not a big deal, the design is okay, we simply didn't think about
multiscreen when implementing the various apps and plugins, especially
when saving/loading prefs, that's it.

Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org