Configuration issues/ideas

Juraj Ziegler e at hq.sk
Fri Jul 25 21:56:12 CEST 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:34:22PM +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Here are some thoughts I had about our configuration dialogs. (Yes
> benny, for after 4.0 ;-)
>
> * Could we move the workspaces dialog to xfwm4 and combine it with the
> margins dialog? It is not in any way bound to xfdesktop functionality
> and providing one dialog for all workspace settings seems like a good
> idea to me.

Makes sense.

> * Mouse and keyboard dialogs could perhaps do with a 'defaults' button
> (as requested on this list). You can screw up these settings rather
> easily and getting back to a working system may be difficult.

Makes sense as well.

> * Keyboard theme for gtk should be removed IMO. I think it's better to

I personally never used it.

> make anyone who wants this put it in their gtkrc. For xfwm4 I was
> wondering if we should remove all key bindings and make an xfce4-keys
> utility. Someone has to put in some work for that though ...

That would be good. Right now, the situation feels rather schizophrenic.
Olivier does not want xfwm4 to have general key-binding functionality,
but OTOH it already has it, but only up to 10 shortcuts.

One more thing (a design issue): The XFce Settings Manager window has a
vertical scrollbar, but that is never used, as you cannot make the
window smaller as its original size. In my opinion, the window either
should be resizable as any other window, and the scrollbar should be
automatic (i.e. appears when required) or the window should not be
resizeable at all.

[e]

>e at hq.sk<                   /(bb|[^b]{2})/                 >http://hq.sk/~euro<
        "always know what you say, but do not always say what you know"