Configuration issues/ideas

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Fri Jul 25 21:34:22 CEST 2003

Hey,

Here are some thoughts I had about our configuration dialogs. (Yes
benny, for after 4.0 ;-)

* Could we move the workspaces dialog to xfwm4 and combine it with the
margins dialog? It is not in any way bound to xfdesktop functionality
and providing one dialog for all workspace settings seems like a good
idea to me.

* Mouse and keyboard dialogs could perhaps do with a 'defaults' button
(as requested on this list). You can screw up these settings rather
easily and getting back to a working system may be difficult.

* Keyboard theme for gtk should be removed IMO. I think it's better to
make anyone who wants this put it in their gtkrc. For xfwm4 I was
wondering if we should remove all key bindings and make an xfce4-keys
utility. Someone has to put in some work for that though ...

* For xfdesktop, if I want to support different backgrounds for multiple
screens, I will not be able to use the mcs manager anymore. Same goes
for multiple panels; only icontheme and perhaps layer would remain
global. This is probably unavoidable, though.

Just some things to think about while preparing for the release ;-)

	Jasper