Xfce-funklor ->xfwm crash

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 08:34:07 CEST 2003

--- Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> Ric,
>
> The new xfce engine (2.1.3) that ships with rc2 accepts both "TRUE" and
> "true", so it's backward compatible with older xfce themes.

Thanks. Was afraid to suggest that as it might have been to hard due to time
constraint with XFce release.  Your a gem....

Would you be up for answering some questions about the gtk-xfce-engine which,
if you want, I will reformat into a 'HOW2.htm'/ 'README' file that you can
distribute with gtk-xfce-engine?
 -or has that already been done?(I could not find it... README is 0 bytes)

Of course, it will have to be included after 4.0 is out (if it is suitable) so
no rush.

> [...]
> > >
> > > Really, I won't maintain a black list of GTK themes hardcoded in the
> > > setting manager...
> >
> > huh? who said/asked that? I certainly did not.  That would be D! near
> > impossible to create or maintain -there must be a thousand GTK+ themes by
> now.
> >  All I suggested was that you use a list that you know works:  The default
> > themes installed + whatever else you think is appropriate... but not use
> the
> > entire gtk+ gallery and whatever the user has in $HOME/.themes/  too ...
> >
> > whatever...
> >
> > The problem apparently is that funklor uses " TRUE" instead of " true " in
> the
> > gtk2 gtkrc file.  I made changes to funklor's gtkrc by reducing the
> spacing
> > and changing it to read
> >
> >   engine "xfce"
> >   {
> >       smooth_edge = true
> >   }
> > }
> >
> > It was ... " = TRUE " before.  That seems to have fixed the crash problem.
> > have not been able to get it to do it anymore.
> > While testing that change I clicked on Redmondxp and ir did not work
> properly
> > but since it did not CRASH the system, found an error in the
> .xsession-errors
> > file indicating that it had the same problem(TRUE).
> >
> > GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1337 (g_object_unref):
> > assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> > /usr/share/themes/Xfce-Redmondxp/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:43: error: unexpected
> > identifier `TRUE', expected keyword
> >
> > As soon as I made the same changes to it, changed TRUE to true(in two
> places),
> > the error went away.
> > I also noticed that xfce-funklor and xfce-Redmondxp are almost the same
> theme;
> > it's prbly a copy error. BTW, " TRUE " is used a lot in gtk gtkrc files
> but I
> > could not find any gtk2 gtkrc files with it.  All of them are lower case.
> >
> > Of course I have no way of knowing if that is _the_ fix or just a hack
> that
> > makes it appear to be okay.  It looks like Glib really cares if one uses
> > capitals but idunno if it should or not.  Personally, I would hope not.
> >
> > System/X/WM crashes are not a good thing. ...  If there is some way to
> prevent
> > that from happening, well, IMHO, it should be done.
> >
> > There is not a lot that we can do about gtk-engines2  but since
> > " Xfce-Redmondxp " came from the old gtk-xfce-engine it can be replaced
> > with the newer " xfce-redmondxp " files.  The two are different, but not
> > that much.   And the easy way to fix xfce-funklor is to include it in a
> new
> > gtk-xfce-engine-2 release with the appropriate changes and also replace
> > the old files.   Or whatever way you think is best. ...

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
The price of freedom is responsibility, but it's a bargain, because freedom is priceless. ~ Hugh Downs