idea for panel configurator

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Jul 2 17:44:50 CEST 2003

On Wed, 02, Jul 2003, edscott wilson garcia wrote:

> Hi everybody, Jasper in particular,

Hey Edscott,

> To configure the panel with the applications and drawers is a rather
> lengthy procedure involving many clicks and many popup dialogs. I was
> thinking of something along the line of the xfapps branch in xffm, where
> the special new (and not yet used) treeview dragdrop feature could be
> used to change main drawer positions or to move an application from one
> drawer to another. Further, new applications could be added by normal
> drag'n'drop from any fm (even xffm). And further still, additional
> branches where the gnome and kde filemenus would be represented in tree
> form to make drag'n'drop possible from there. This would entail removing
> the xfapps branch from xffm and wiring it up as a smaller and separate
> application with these extended features.
> What say? Crazy? Usefull?

That would fit nice into the picture, since we want to use freedesktop
menu spec for the panel in xfce 4.2. IMHO we should add this to the
TODO list.

> ps. I'm talking 4.2, of course, and it would require the load and save
> settings part of the panel to be compiled into a dynamic library to
> enable maintainability.

We should even move more parts of the panel to a dynamic library to
make plugin writers life easier :-)

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/