idea for panel configurator

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed Jul 2 17:56:12 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:44:50 +0200
Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 02, Jul 2003, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody, Jasper in particular,
>
> Hey Edscott,
>
> > To configure the panel with the applications and drawers is a rather
> > lengthy procedure involving many clicks and many popup dialogs. I
> > was thinking of something along the line of the xfapps branch in
> > xffm, where the special new (and not yet used) treeview dragdrop
> > feature could be used to change main drawer positions or to move an
> > application from one drawer to another. Further, new applications
> > could be added by normal drag'n'drop from any fm (even xffm). And
> > further still, additional branches where the gnome and kde filemenus
> > would be represented in tree form to make drag'n'drop possible from
> > there. This would entail removing the xfapps branch from xffm and
> > wiring it up as a smaller and separate application with these
> > extended features. What say? Crazy? Usefull?

Interesting at least ;-) I have thought about something like this, it
may even be in the TODO file.

> That would fit nice into the picture, since we want to use freedesktop
> menu spec for the panel in xfce 4.2. IMHO we should add this to the
> TODO list.

Well, that's a definite maybe as far as I'm concerned. Might be 4.4, and
the goal should be to get some generic desktop file handling, which may
or may not be used by the panel. I do like the idea, but I'd first like
to see how easy or hard it will be to implement.

> > ps. I'm talking 4.2, of course, and it would require the load and
> > save settings part of the panel to be compiled into a dynamic
> > library to enable maintainability.
>
> We should even move more parts of the panel to a dynamic library to
> make plugin writers life easier :-)

Indeed.

	Jasper

PS
The amount of new ideas popping up, to me suggest we must work extra
hard to get a stable release out as soon as possible. Apparently, it
is getting boring ...