xfce4 development

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Jan 28 20:36:49 CET 2003

On 28 Jan 2003 13:51:54 -0500
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> 	xfce4 should be, from a usability and functionality perspective,
> 	the
> next step for the desktop environment.  By this I mean that it should
> be able to mimic the way xfce3 runs and works for users.  _How_ it
> does things is where the big changes have been done but it should
> stick to_What_ is does with little change from what xfce3 does.  The
> step should be as similar to the move from 1 to 2 and fro 2 to 3 as
> possible.
>
> 	I should have been saying this all along, as the voice of the
> 	"devils
> advocate" [Whatever it is, I'm against it!] but I failed.  Hopefully
> when 4 is actually released it will be able to be a (more or less)
> smooth transition from xfce3.

No way :) A major part of the feel of xfce3 was the setup dialog. This
has completely changed. And I mean completely.

As for the panel behaviour, well, yes it still has the panel launchers
the non-hierarchical (?) popup menus, a clock and a desktop switcher, so
the default configuration should be rather familiar.

But with the extra features like vertical mode, panel plugins and a
graphical pager the interaction with the panel is also necessarily a bit
different.

Of course I tried to keep things simple, like xfce3, so hopefully I
succeeded somewhat, but a smooth transition may be a bit much to ask :)

	Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.freenode.net