xfce4 development

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Jan 28 19:51:54 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 04:23, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> As for making xfce panel look/behave like window maker/kde/gnome/icewm/whatever,
> no thanks. Those projects have maintainers, people are free to go with those if
> xfce doesn't fit for them. I don't want xfce to be the kitchen sink of desktop
> environments :)

	I was going to say the same thing, Olivier.  xfce should be xfce and
not try to be anything else.  Some of the features and capabilities it
might have could be "*-alikes" for other environments, as with xfce3,
but the focus needs to remain on xfce and making it work.

<pontification>

	I have been derelict in my duties as the anti-everything voice.  I have
been following the lists as applies to the development discussions.
There's been a lot of extremely good work done already.  But during that
time I lost sight of the goal.  Therefor I would like to make my comment
as to what I believe the focus should be for xfce's future and the
direction it should aim for.  (And them Olivier, et. al., can tell me
how full of $#!^ I am).

	xfce4 should be, from a usability and functionality perspective, the
next step for the desktop environment.  By this I mean that it should be
able to mimic the way xfce3 runs and works for users.  _How_ it does
things is where the big changes have been done but it should stick to
_What_ is does with little change from what xfce3 does.  The step should
be as similar to the move from 1 to 2 and fro 2 to 3 as possible.

	I should have been saying this all along, as the voice of the "devils
advocate" [Whatever it is, I'm against it!] but I failed.  Hopefully
when 4 is actually released it will be able to be a (more or less)
smooth transition from xfce3.

</pontification>

--
"It's time to KISS your BOT goodBYYYYYYEEEEEE!!!!!"
                -- Metabee, 'Medabots'