xfce4 development

Net Llama! netllama at linux-sxs.org
Tue Jan 28 15:44:11 CET 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:23:35 +0100 (CET)
> Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We now should enter a feature freeze for xfce4.
> >

> Yes!
>

> > This apply for a session manager, for example. People can live without
> > a session manager, which cause a big overhead anyway (ever wonder why
> > gnome and kde take so long to start ? Partly because of the session
> > manager, remove it and both start a lot faster)
> >

> What I would like to see is at least a program that can run as X session
> owner (or how you would call that) so that all xfce4 apps can quit the X
> session through that 'session' app. Like ROx session.

FWIW, i agree 100%.  I honestly can't see XFCE4 getting serious acceptance
if there is no session management, especially when XFCE3 has/had it.
Removing functionality from a product, be it software or oven mitts, is
usually the fastest way to loose your customer base.
One of the (many) reasons why i ditched KDE when they released their 2.x
series is because they so drastically changed everything that it was no
longer the same environment that i actually found useful.  THere was so
much that was different from 1.x and so much that was new that it wasn't
the same product any longer, and i wasn't the target audience, IMO.

Lonni J Friedman				netllama at linux-sxs.org
Linux Step-by-step & TyGeMo		     http://netllama.ipfox.com