xfce4 development

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Jan 28 11:05:04 CET 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:23:35 +0100 (CET)
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We now should enter a feature freeze for xfce4.

Yes!

> This apply for a session manager, for example. People can live without
> a session manager, which cause a big overhead anyway (ever wonder why
> gnome and kde take so long to start ? Partly because of the session
> manager, remove it and both start a lot faster)

What I would like to see is at least a program that can run as X session
owner (or how you would call that) so that all xfce4 apps can quit the X
session through that 'session' app. Like ROx session.

> As for making xfce panel look/behave like window
> maker/kde/gnome/icewm/whatever, no thanks. Those projects have
> maintainers, people are free to go with those if xfce doesn't fit for
> them. I don't want xfce to be the kitchen sink of desktop environments
> :)

To clarify I didn't mean to say the panel should have all these things,
just that they are valid ideas for a panel plugin (to be written by
_someone else_ if they want that functionality).

What I do want for the panel, but that is after 4.0, is a
notification area, the new spec for status icons, like gaim.

> I hope this makes things clearer. xfce4 won't stay in CVS and
> development state forever.

I hope not :)

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.freenode.net