xfce4 development

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 28 11:16:38 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 14:53, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> We now should enter a feature freeze for xfce4.
>
> It doesn't mean that all developpment should stop right now, but rather mean we
> should concentrate on cleanup up the code, fixing remaining bugs, chase memory
> leaks, implement stuff that have been pending and required for a final release.
>
> All stuff that are not started yet will be kept for 4.2 release. So, for the
> menu system and vfolder in xfdesktop, Botsie, if you can quickly write an api
> and plugins that can fit in that plan, go ahead. Otherwise, postpone (as you
> rightly said, if you can write an api, you don't have to write up all the
> plugins, just the mandatory ones).
>
> This apply for a session manager, for example. People can live without a session
> manager, which cause a big overhead anyway (ever wonder why gnome and kde take
> so long to start ? Partly because of the session manager, remove it and both
> start a lot faster)

I think there a couple of features that are a must-have for a production
release. Some have not been started yet:

* Minimised window icons: I don't use the taskbar, and selecting from a
menu is awkward. This is the one thing preventing me from using
XFDesktop.

* Some kind of configurable desktop menu.

* Any others? These the ones that bug me ...

Other than these ... I think a feature freeze is great idea. Perhaps
we'll finally start working on documentation ... :-)

-- b