API addition to libxfce4mcs

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Jan 11 14:31:30 CET 2003

Hi Jasper,

> While on the subject of libxfce4mcs, I have some ideas I'd like to hear
> your opinion on:
>
> How about expanding the channel saving/loading code a bit to take into
> account user and system directories. I mean the functions should take
> only the file name as argument and then for reading look it up in
> ~/.xfce4/<filename> and if not found look at
> ${sysconfdir}/xfce4/<filename> and for writing put it in ~/.xfce4/. That
> would make it simpler to have standard file locations and to install
> default config files.

Well, mixed feelings. I would like to keep libxfce4mcs-manager
 and libxfce4mcs-client as independent from xfce4 as possible...

...however the recent addition of mcs_client_check_manager to
libxfce4mcs-client spawns xfce-mcs-manager, so...

That said, it's very easy for the plugin to do a g_file_test() so I'd
prefer to keep the lib independent from xfce4 specific settings.

> Secondly, I think the settings manager should not be part of the
> libxfce4mcs module. It's not part of the library, it's based on it.

Agree. That would require to split the current dir.

> And
> the plugins should not be in ${libdir}/libxfce4mcs/settings, but rather
> in ${libdir}/xfce-mcs-manager/plugins/.

Yes definitely. We need to synchronize this one so that both xfce4 and
xfwm4 look at the same place.

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org