API addition to libxfce4mcs

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sat Jan 11 12:32:21 CET 2003

On 11 Jan 2003 11:39:06 +0100
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Jasper,
>
> I've added a new function (you requested and implemented in xfce4) to
> mcs-client.h to check and spawn a mcs-manager
>

>     gboolean mcs_client_check_manager(Display * display, int screen);

Great!

While on the subject of libxfce4mcs, I have some ideas I'd like to hear
your opinion on:

How about expanding the channel saving/loading code a bit to take into
account user and system directories. I mean the functions should take
only the file name as argument and then for reading look it up in
~/.xfce4/<filename> and if not found look at
${sysconfdir}/xfce4/<filename> and for writing put it in ~/.xfce4/. That
would make it simpler to have standard file locations and to install
default config files.

Secondly, I think the settings manager should not be part of the
libxfce4mcs module. It's not part of the library, it's based on it. And
the plugins should not be in ${libdir}/libxfce4mcs/settings, but rather
in ${libdir}/xfce-mcs-manager/plugins/.

Not that it matters much, but I do think it would be nice if we were a
bit more consistent about file locations (see my previous mail, that
nobody cared about :).

Just tell me to go and worry about something else if you think I'm not
making any sense.

	Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net