API addition to libxfce4mcs

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sat Jan 11 14:58:55 CET 2003

On 11 Jan 2003 14:31:30 +0100
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hi Jasper,
>
> > While on the subject of libxfce4mcs, I have some ideas I'd like to
> > hear your opinion on:
> >
> > How about expanding the channel saving/loading code a bit to take
> > into account user and system directories. I mean the functions
> > should take only the file name as argument and then for reading look
> > it up in~/.xfce4/<filename> and if not found look at
> > ${sysconfdir}/xfce4/<filename> and for writing put it in ~/.xfce4/.
> > That would make it simpler to have standard file locations and to
> > install default config files.
>
> Well, mixed feelings. I would like to keep libxfce4mcs-manager
>  and libxfce4mcs-client as independent from xfce4 as possible...

ok.

> ...however the recent addition of mcs_client_check_manager to
> libxfce4mcs-client spawns xfce-mcs-manager, so...

hehe, remove it again? :)

perhaps:

gboolean mcs_client_check_manager(Display *dpy, int screen,
                                  const char *manager_command);

> That said, it's very easy for the plugin to do a g_file_test() so I'd
> prefer to keep the lib independent from xfce4 specific settings.

ok.

> > Secondly, I think the settings manager should not be part of the
> > libxfce4mcs module. It's not part of the library, it's based on it.
>
> Agree. That would require to split the current dir.
>
> > And
> > the plugins should not be in ${libdir}/libxfce4mcs/settings, but
> > rather in ${libdir}/xfce-mcs-manager/plugins/.
>
> Yes definitely. We need to synchronize this one so that both xfce4 and
> xfwm4 look at the same place.

Even further into the future: we need to get the modules out of the
xfce-devel area eventually. Are we going to create an xfce4/ directory
or are we going to put it in xfce/ and use cvs branching to separate 3
from 4?

That would be an opportunity to reconsider some naming choices like
libxfcegui4 -> libxfce4gui, xfce-utils -> xfce4-utils, and perhaps even
xfce4 -> xfpanel (I get confused all the time about wether people speak
about the panel or the environment when they say xfce4).

	Jasper

> Cheers,
> --
> Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>