Xffm issues

Joakim Andreasson joakim.andreasson at gmx.net
Thu Feb 13 14:21:20 CET 2003

On 12 Feb 2003 14:26:27 -0600
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:

> El mié, 12-02-2003 a las 10:32, Joakim Andreasson escribió:
> > Hi Edscott and others,
> >
> > Building from cvs today I had to comment out a rather large section
> > of the
> >configure script due to the checking for 'usability' of dbh.h, which
> >didn't
> >work (I run freebsd 4.7). After that it built fine.
>
> Try regenerating the configure script by running ./autogen.sh. If it
> still has problems, tell me what versions of libtool, automake, and
> autoconf you're using.

I run autoconf 2.57, libtool 1.4.3, and automake 1.7. (On FreeBSD 4.7.)
It seems the configure script has problems finding libdbh, which can be
easily solved by changing it so it is 'fooled' that it has found dbh
anyway; then it compiles correctly, even with the right ldflags and
cflags for the dbh lib.

> > Then there are some issues with running xffm. In the directory tree,
> >
> > it isn't able to display my national characters (åäö), although they
> > display correctly in the status line.
>
> Weird. The only difference is that the tree was using
> g_filename_to_utf8() and the status was using g_locale_to_utf8().
> I've put them both to use the same utf translating routine. It should
> work for your character now.

It does.

> > Also, if I select a file with a long name, the window geometry
> > changes and the window becomes very wide, somethimes wider than my
> > screen. I think it is connected to the dispaying of the file name in
> > the status line. It is irritating sometimes.
> >

> It irritates me too. That's why I added the "abbreviate paths"
> preference, but it was bugged and not working for the status line. It
> now works. It will keep filenames in the tree and status line under 21
> characters. If you want to know the full path of a file, drag and drop
> it to the diagnostics window.

The irritating window geometry change remains if you double-click a file
with a long name as the information about it being run is displayed in
the status line. Doesn't this information belong in the diagnostics
window anyway?

There is a similar problem with the "Properties" window, frex if the
file queried with it is a tar.gz file with a long name. I think the
"file type" field needs to be wrapped.

I noticed that Xffm is rather CPU-consuming, ~11% on my PII 233 (No, I
can't afford a better computer :) or ~30% with "Local file monitor"
enabled.

Reagards,
Joakim

---