Status of xfce4

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Fri Feb 7 16:10:01 CET 2003

On 07 Feb 2003 08:50:10 -0600
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:

> When I select a window style like mofit, and try to use the radio
> buttons of the xfce manager to turn on the close button, it does not
> work. I might be doing something wrong, but a warning dialog telling
> me I cannot change the mofit button layout (or any other I've tried)
> would be nice.

The theme file fixes the butto order. It would be nice if the button
order table in the dialog would be insensitive for themes with fixed
button order (please no warning dialog ;).

> A long shot wish would be the following:
> I'm using the beastie and tux window styles(It's really great to tab
> windows). What would be better still would be the ability to move the
> tab to the left or right on a selectable basis (by dragging, for
> example).

That's a BeOS feature, isn't it? Shift-drag moves the tab. Won't be easy
I imagine. Not if you want to save the tab state on a per-app basis at
least.

> > Edscott, any news on xffm ? I think the property window is missing
> > (not talking about the pref dialog, but the dialog that gives access
> > to file/folder properties) - What's your timeline for completing the
> > missing features ?
>
> I think the properties window can be transplanted from xftree with
> relative ease.
>
> > Do you need help for mcs, for example ?
>
> That would be nice. Having a plugin made for xffm which I could just
> modify would give me a real good head start. That way I could
> concentrate more on the xffm side of receiving the changes.
>
> a tentative timetable would be to have the properties function and a
> simple preferences scheme (sans mcs) by Monday 10 feb. 02:00 GMT. The
> mcs part would take me a bit more. Maybe 1-2 weeks to make the xffm
> plugin from scratch, and another week to implement the changes on the
> xffm side.

An mcs dialog is relatively easy to make actually, so Olivier and/or I
can help out with that and then it shouldn't take that much time.

> > As Jasper rightly pointed, we still have some documentation to
> > write. And the missing various scripts like startxfce4, xfhelp(4?),
> > xfterm(4?) etc.
>
> I really need to write docs to explain how the trash works in xffm.
> But I still don't know what editor to use to edit the source files,
> what format to use and how to convert to html. This should take me
> about a week to figure out once I get started.

I can convert your text to docbook xml easily and then to html. Look at
the doc/ directory for the panel if you want to find out how I did it.
If you make some plain text docs I can do the conversion if you want.

	Jasper