icon factories

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Fri Dec 19 15:37:35 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 02:32, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Well, I'm afraid I don't have a very clear idea of what is the best
> implementation for icon themeing, but I really like us to take enough
> time to make sure that we play well with relevant specs and with gtk
> 2.4. Relevant for us are:
>
> * mime spec
> * icon theme spec
> * gtk 2.4 icon theme support
> * gtk stock icon system
> and perhaps
> * basedir spec

With the limited time available to all of us, we should narrow down and
focus. Otherwise, big plans, little done.

> ROX is already using the icon theme spec for its mime icons in the CVS
> version and I really would like us to be able to use the same icon
> themes. I think gnome will be starting to use these as well.
>
> If I understand correctly, you're implementation uses the mime type
> database to add special xfce icons, but of course conceptually that is
> not entirely correct, since there are no files or applications involved.

For xffm the code is much simpler by handling all icons the same way.
But in order to share icons with other xfce apps, the special icons
would be defined under the gtkrc way (2.2 or 2.4 or whatever agreed
upon). But if this only applies to xffm, the subject is best to be
dropped.

> This doesn't have to be a problem if it makes implementation easier.
> Will it affect other programs using the mime spec or is the database
> xffm/xfce specific?

No problem at all. The FreeDesktop database is not altered. A second
file for extending the database is used for private xfce types (although
we can very well put them into the freedesktop database with simple
namespacing, that would be OK too).

> I'm sorry to say I have really very limited time at the moment, so I
> can't investigate these issues as well as I would like.

Thank you for your comments.