new xfwm4 hangs phoenix

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Aug 26 21:45:32 CEST 2003

Ric,

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 20:38, Ric wrote:
> I do not know how or why but since installing the latest xfwm4 phoenix-0.5
> hangs for about a minute at startup and hangs for a very long time at "Quit".
> It was working okay before (for about a week).  The only change I made before
> it started having that behaviour was to install the new xfwm4's from the
> archive Monday (and again early today, Tuesday).

I hardly see how this could be related to xfce4 or even xfwm4.

> The real problem is that it is a change that I cannot revert - uninstalling
> xfwm4(newest version) did not work to fix the problem. :-/
> [ And, BTW,  I do not think this should delay the XFce4 release since
> phoenix-0.5 is deprecated("Firebird" is the new Mozilla browser)... unless it
> is a problem in other aps. I am only reporting it in case it is indicative of
> other underlying problems(and because I cannot 'fix' it... yet). ]

That tend to confirm what I was saying. If reverting to a previous
version of xfwm4 doesn't help, then it's not xfwm4.

> Anybody know how that can happen or, better yet, how to fix it?

"strace phoenix" should tell you were it hangs at least, what it's
waiting for.

Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org