new xfwm4 hangs phoenix

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 20:38:24 CEST 2003

Hi:

I do not know how or why but since installing the latest xfwm4 phoenix-0.5
hangs for about a minute at startup and hangs for a very long time at "Quit".
It was working okay before (for about a week).  The only change I made before
it started having that behaviour was to install the new xfwm4's from the
archive Monday (and again early today, Tuesday).

The real problem is that it is a change that I cannot revert - uninstalling
xfwm4(newest version) did not work to fix the problem. :-/
[ And, BTW,  I do not think this should delay the XFce4 release since
phoenix-0.5 is deprecated("Firebird" is the new Mozilla browser)... unless it
is a problem in other aps. I am only reporting it in case it is indicative of
other underlying problems(and because I cannot 'fix' it... yet). ]

Anybody know how that can happen or, better yet, how to fix it?

***
FYI:
I am using a phoenix 0.5 binary that I got from mozilla.org.  By "hang" I mean
it is using ~100% of one CPU but the window is empty - it has no text or
graphics; sometimes it appears that only the window decoration/borders are
present(no bg at all).  Usually, after a minute or two the page loads; it does
not matter where the page is located(local file or *net).  Phoenix stops using
all the CPU at that point.  When I "Quit" the browsing session, phoenix hangs
again - for more than several minutes - I do not know the exact time but it
will eventually quit.
I have NO error messages, so I do not know what is going on...

Here's some window info that I got from one session while it was hung:

#> xprop
_NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY(CARDINAL) = 664, 740, 74, 26
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS(ATOM) = _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE,
_NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_HORZ, _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_VERT,
_NET_WM_ACTION_CHANGE_DESKTO
P, _NET_WM_ACTION_STICK, _NET_WM_ACTION_SHADE
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 3
_WIN_WORKSPACE(CARDINAL) = 3
_WIN_STATE(CARDINAL) = 0
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) =
_MOZILLA_USER(STRING) = "root"
_MOZILLA_VERSION(STRING) = "5.0"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = 0x50, 0x68, 0x6f, 0x65, 0x6e, 0x69, 0x78
XdndAware(ATOM) = ARC
_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO(_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO) = 0x6c, 0x0, 0x5, 0x8,
0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0xb6, 0x40, 0x10, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
_MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x2, 0x81d02f0, 0x1, 0x0, 0x0
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 1082
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Mozilla", "navigator:browser"
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "en_US"
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "fhj52.linuXwindows.hom"
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "Phoenix"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Phoenix"
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0x3000001
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
                Client accepts input or input focus: True
                Initial state is Normal State.
                window id # of group leader: 0x3000001
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified size: 200 by 200
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS

#> xwininfo
xwininfo: Window id: 0x300002b "Phoenix"

  Absolute upper-left X:  5
  Absolute upper-left Y:  75
  Relative upper-left X:  5
  Relative upper-left Y:  23
  Width: 951
  Height: 627
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +5+75  -68+75  -68-66  +5-66
  -geometry 951x627+0+52

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
Gardening tip:
The preferred targets of yellow jackets are sweet fruit such as strawberries,
blueberries, tree fruit, melons and the gardeners who tend them. Damage signs
include holes in ripe fruit and a buzzing noise followed by a sharp pain.
-- GardenGuides.com