more nedit dialog problems

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 17:44:13 CEST 2003

Hi Olivier:

Welcome back. Hope your little vacation provided you with some R&R. :)

--- Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> Ric,
>
> As you are reporting problems with Motif based apps, and I have have no
> such problem myself with those, I'd like to know what exact version of
> Motif you use.

I do not  have motif (or openmotif) installed at this time.  Instead,  lesstif,
Version 0.93.34-2mdk is installed. ICYDK,  " Lesstif is an API compatible clone
of the Motif toolkit. Most of the Motif 1.2 API is in place. ... "
However, I am using the MDK compiled nedit & do not know what they used to
compile it.
BUT, I get this from nedit version info:
#> nedit -V
NEdit 5.3
Jun 1, 2002

     Built on: Linux, x86, GNU C
     Built at: Jul 21 2002, 07:40:41
   With Motif: 2001 [@(#)GNU/LessTif Version 2.1 Release 0.93.34]
Running Motif: 2001
       Server: Mandrake Linux (XFree86 4.2.1, patch level 3mdk) 40201000

So, it looks like they used lesstif.
The AXmedit 1.2 Free Arabic Editor for Linux does not provide such info - do
not know which "motif" (or clone) they used.

I got the OpenMotif 2.2.2-3 pkg from the MDK club but installing it will
overwrite some of the lesstif-devel files( libMrm.so,  libUil.so  and  libXm.so
) which could make problems with other aps that depend on them.  However, if
you want me to do it, I will...

In any event, none of these focus-type problems exist in any other DE/WM that I
have installed for MDK 9, and they did not exist, AFAIK, prior to the changes
made to fix some of the other problems with dialogs, so it is somehow related
to one of the fixes to xfwm4 - ithink since the N'scape & Java applet icq.com
fixes, BICBW.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.
>

> On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 03:16, Ric wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > When "Save As..." is selected the text dialog to type in the name does
> > not get focus. No typed characters can be entered.  The file selection
> > windows allow one to choose a file and that name is entered into the
> > dialog but it cannot be edited.
> > Also, normally, the cursor blinks in the text widget but now it is
> > static.
> >
> > Apparently it is not nedit at fault because I checked it in Gnome and
> > it works normally. I know that is not a great reference but it is the
> > only other gtk+2 DE I have.
> >
> > This could have been a problem for a week or more because I very rarely
> > use "Save as..." since I am almost always editing the file(s) directly
> > and :. only use "Save"(actually, CTRL-S).
> >
> > I will try to find out the cause and do some more tests to see if I can
> > make the problem go away but I thought I should mention it now in case
> > there is someone who might know what the cause could be.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> > =====

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
Gardening tip:
The preferred targets of yellow jackets are sweet fruit such as strawberries,
blueberries, tree fruit, melons and the gardeners who tend them. Damage signs
include holes in ripe fruit and a buzzing noise followed by a sharp pain.
-- GardenGuides.com