xfce4 rc2 and bash environment variables

Jonathan Marc Bearak jonathanbearak at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 00:17:51 CEST 2003

hi, i just installed xfce4 (rc2) last night.  it's a great wm, fast and
elegant.

i was having some problems regarding bash environment variables and a change
to /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/XFce4 script fixed it.  instead of:
         exec /usr/bin/startxfce4
i copied from the Xsessions script and replaced it with:
       exec -l $SHELL -c "/usr/bin/startxfce4"
which fixed my problems.
could this script modification be included in xfce?

here's why i had to make that change on my system:
(i run redhat 9.)
 .bash_profile wasn't taking effect, so i moved my settings into .bashrc, but
that didn't work if trying, i.e., "xterm -e slrn" (as the NNTPSERVER env
variable wouldn't be set in that terminal).  so i put .bash_profile back to
the way i had it originally and started combing through scripts.  changing
the startxfce4 line seems to cause my bash settings to be processed and apps
started by xfce4 to inherit them (thus fixing my problem of the slrn icon on
the xfce4 panel not working.)